Confirmation Bias: Why Being Wrong Feels so Right
Whether it’s politics, sports, social media, or product reviews, we all like being right. Most people assume they make decisions based on the facts, but psychology tells us that’s not quite the case. One of the biggest influences on how we think is confirmation bias.
Confirmation bias is the tendency for us to search for, interpret, remember, and believe information that supports our existing beliefs while ignoring information that challenges them. Rather than objectively evaluating all the evidence, our brains naturally favor information that we already think is true.
According to the American Psychological Association, confirmation bias influences how people gather information and make decisions, often without conscious awareness.
This isn’t something only other people do. It affects every single one of us.
Why Does Confirmation Bias Happen?
Our brains are constantly processing enormous amounts of information.If we questioned every belief every time we encountered new information, making even simple decisions would become exhausting Instead, our brains rely on mental shortcuts.Once we form an opinion, it feels comfortable. Information that agrees with us feels trustworthy, while information that disagrees with us can feel uncomfortable, even if it's true.That doesn't make us bad people It simply makes us human.
We See It Every Day
Think about online shopping.
Whenever I am deciding to buy something new, like a new iPhone, I spend more time reading five star reviews than one star reviews. Why? We want reassurance that we’re making the right decision. Sports fans do the same thing. If someone believes a referee is terrible, every missed call becomes proof they're right. The good calls usually fade into the background. Politics may be the biggest example. People often choose news sources that match their beliefs and avoid ones that challenge them. The result is that two people can watch coverage of the same event and leave with completely different opinions.
Source: https://share.google/2TxgC4gf6nYoICfk3
Social Media Makes It Worse
Confirmation bias has always existed. Social media has simply made it much stronger. Platforms like YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, and X learn what we enjoy watching. Their algorithms then recommend similar content because it keeps us engaged longer. Eventually, our feeds begin showing mostly opinions we already agree with. This creates what experts call an echo chamber. Inside an echo chamber, we repeatedly hear the same viewpoints until they begin to feel like the only reasonable opinions. According to the Pew Research Center, many Americans regularly get news from social media, increasing the importance of understanding how algorithms influence what we see.
Is Confirmation Bias Always Bad?
As verywellmind puts it, not necessarily. Sometimes confirmation bias helps us make decisions quickly. Doctors, firefighters, athletes, and military personnel often rely on previous experience when making split-second choices. Confidence can also help people stay motivated. An entrepreneur who believes in their business idea may continue working through failures because they focus on signs of progress rather than every obstacle. There are times when confidence is useful.
The problem begins when confidence turns into closed-mindedness.
The Downsides Can Be Serious
Confirmation bias can make learning much harder.If we only search for evidence that agrees with us, we stop asking important questions.That affects much more than politics.Investors can lose money because they ignore warning signs.Patients may reject medical advice because it conflicts with something they saw online.
Businesses may continue using poor strategies because leaders only listen to employees who agree with them. Even scientists work hard to reduce confirmation bias when conducting research because they know it can influence results.
Britannica explains that confirmation bias affects how people interpret evidence, making it one of the most common cognitive biases studied in psychology.
Source: https://debunkingdenial.com/disrupting-echo-chambers/
Different People Experience It Differently
No one is immune to confirmation bias.However, different groups experience it in different ways.
Younger people who spend hours each day on social media may encounter stronger algorithm-driven echo chambers.Older adults may rely more heavily on familiar television stations or newspapers they've trusted for years.People with stronger media literacy skills may recognize misleading information more easily.Others may struggle to distinguish between reliable sources and misinformation.Regardless of age, education, or political beliefs, confirmation bias affects everyone.The difference is whether we're aware of it.
My Perspective
One reason I chose this topic is because I've noticed confirmation bias in my own life.I'm a sports fan, and I've caught myself believing certain referees are worse than others. Once I've formed that opinion, every questionable call seems to prove I'm right. The correct calls barely register. I've also noticed it when shopping online.I f I already want a product, I naturally look for reviews that support buying it instead of carefully reading criticism. The more I learned about confirmation bias, the more I realized how often my brain tries to protect my existing opinions instead of challenging them.
Why This Matters
I believe confirmation bias has become one of the biggest challenges of the internet age. We have more information available than any generation before us.Ironically, that doesn't always make us better informed Instead, it often makes it easier to find evidence supporting whatever we already believe Artificial intelligence, personalized search results, and recommendation algorithms make this even more powerful(https://www.simplypsychology.org/confirmation-bias.html).That's why critical thinking is becoming one of the most valuable skills anyone can develop.Instead of asking, "Who agrees with me?" we should ask, "What evidence might prove me wrong?"That simple question can lead to better decisions, stronger relationships, and more productive conversations.
Source: https://www.lightstock.com/photos/man-standing-on-front-of-two-road-directions
Final Thoughts
Confirmation bias isn't something we can completely eliminate.It's part of being human.
However, understanding how it works allows us to slow down and consider our path. Are we going down the path of evidence, or following our assumptions? This will allow us to make better decisions.
The next time I read the news, scroll through social media, or even watch a basketball game, I'll try to remember one important question:
Am I searching for the truth, or am I simply searching for proof that I'm already right?
I think asking ourselves that question is one of the best ways to become better thinkers and better citizens.
Comments
Post a Comment